Plan ahead for camping season
LINCOLN - With Memorial Day weekend and summer coming up, campers should think ahead to find their perfect site.
While many popular reservation- only spots already have been booked, many more sites are available first-come, first-served at state parks across Nebraska. Find a park, plan a trip or make a reservation at OutdoorNebraska.gov. There you also can use the ”Find a Park” tool to discover parks with amenities or activities that match your interests.
Once you’ve popped your tent or parked your recreation vehicle, follow these Nebraska Game and Parks reminders to keep camping fun and safe this summer:
• Arrive early. Consider arriving early in the week to claim a firstcome, first-served site that meets your needs.
• Be patient. Memorial Day weekend is a historically busy one in state parks. Practice patience and understanding with fellow campers and park staff.
• Wear life jackets when boating or swimming and only swim in designated beach areas.
• Pack a fishing pole. Fishing is fun for all ages. Youth ages 16 and under don’t need a permit to fish. Adults can buy a one-day or annual fishing permit online.
• Practice campfire safety. Guests should call park areas before arrival to determine whether a burn ban is in effect.