Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Parole Board grants Haug's release

Posted in:

OMAHA — A Fordyce man who’s been in prison for the last 18 months for stabbing a man was released Friday on discretionary parole.

Kevin Haug, 47, faced the Nebraska Parole Board Friday and was released that same day.

Conditions of his release included continuing to take his medications and participate in mental health counseling and not to have any contact with the victims in the case, said Rosalyn Cotton, chairperson of the Nebraska Parole Board.

Within 24 hours of his release, Haug was to report to his assigned parole officer with plans to reside in South Dakota. He will remain on parole for the remainder of his maximum sentence minus any applicable good time, but can seek and apply for early dismissal of parole.

The Board of Parole is not obligated to support early discharge and will only consider it after an individual has been on parole for one year.

In its review of Haug’s case, the board took into consideration Haug’s institutional behavior as well as his participation in programming while incarcerated, Cotton said.

Haug was serving a sentence of 5-22 years at Omaha Correctional Center for the July 2019 incident in which he stabbed James Olson of Yankton, then led law enforcement on a chase.

According to court records, Haug broke into the home where his estranged wife and children lived and a fight ensued. Olson suffered a cut on his forehead, a stab wound in his upper right abdomen that required surgery, a deep laceration to his left hand and cuts on his lower left abdomen.

Haug exited the residence and washed his hands and weapons in a swimming pool.

A manhunt then began to locate Haug who was later located driving a stolen U-Haul and headed for Yankton. A chase ensued and ended when he crashed the U-Haul truck into law enforcement officers at the Highway 81 and 84 intersection.

He was originally charged with attempted murder.

After a plea agreement, Haug pleaded no contest to first-degree assault, operating a motor vehicle to avoid arrest, and two counts of attempted assault on an officer using a motor vehicle.

At the time of his sentencing, Haug told the court he’d lost everything due to his drug use and took responsbility for his actions.