Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Murder suspect out of hospital

LINCOLN - The suspect in the Laurel quadruple homicide has been discharged from the hospital and is now behind bars at the Nebraska Department of Corrections in Lincoln. 

Jason Jones, 42, of Laurel, was discharged from CHI St. Elizabeth in Lincoln Wednesday morning, according to the Nebraska State Patrol. 

He is accused of four counts of first-degree murder, two counts of first-degree arson, and four counts of use of a firearm to commit a felony  in the deaths of his neighbors, Michele Shankles-Ebeling, 53, Gene Twiford, 86, Janet Twiford, 85, and Dana Twiford, 55, on Aug. 4. No court date has been scheduled as of Wednesday afternoon. 

First responders were called to 209 Elm St in Laurel around 3 a.m., Aug. 4 to the report of an explosion and house fire, finding Michele Shankles-Ebeling, 53, deceased. About five hours later, local law enforcement on scene noticed smoke coming from a home a few blocks away at 503 Elm St.

Gene Twiford, 86, Janet Twiford, 85, and Dana Twiford, 55, were found to be deceased at that home.

All of the victims were found with what appeared to be gunshot wounds, according to court documents.

Law enforcement was able to get a search warrant of the Ebeling home and found a red fuel container inside the front door and noticed a trail indicating the use of accelerants to help ignite the fire. A backpack was also found, containing receipts that led back to Jones.

Investigators said it appeared access to the Twiford home was gained by a pry bar. A firearm was found on the living room floor, along with an incendiary device, according to court documents.

In the early morning hours of Aug. 5, the Nebraska State Patrol SWAT Team found Jones with significant burns while they were serving a warrant at his home in Laurel. Jones was transported to CHI St. Elizabeth where he has been receiving treatment ever since he was moved Wednesday.

Following his hospital discharge, Jones was transported to the Nebraska Department of Corrections Reception and Treatment Center in Lincoln. He was not yet listed as an inmate in the Nebraska Department of Corrections database as of Wednesday evening.