Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Prev article
Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Area fire departments quickly douse flames at area school

Posted in:

COLERIDGE — Electrical wiring caught on fire in the attic of a Laurel-Concord-Coleridge Middle School auxiliary building and caused significant damage.

Coleridge Fire and EMS were called to the Middle School at 7:31 p.m., Tuesday, April 19, to the report of alarms sounding and smoke coming out of the building, according to a statement released by Coleridge Fire and Rescue.

Just five minutes after getting the call, firefighters arrived on scene and placed pumpers to the north and south of the building. The Hartington and Laurel fire departments were called in for mutual aid and supplied additional manpower and water relay to fight the fire.

The fire was extinguished by 8 p.m., and firefighters began the overhaul process.

The fire was contained to the auxiliary building with the southern portion of the structure receiving the most damage. The adjacent main school building had some minor heat damage.

The building had been used for classrooms but was only currently being used for storage.

Firefighters left the scene around midnight. There were no injuries during the incident.