Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Another suspect charged in Laurel quadruple murder

HARTINGTON - The wife of an accused murderer has now also been arrested and charged with the same crime.

An arrest warrant was issued Friday for Carrie Jones, 43, of Laurel. The warrant was served at her residence and she was taken into custody on charges of first-degree murder, tampering with evidence and accessory to a felony.

The affidavit in support of the warrant and additional court documents have been sealed.

No court date has been filed and the case was filed directly in Cedar County District Court.

Carrie Jones is being held in inmate housing at Antelope County jail.

Her husband, Jason A. Jones, 42, Laurel, is accused of four counts of first-degree murder, two counts of first-degree arson, and four counts of use of a firearm to commit a felony in the Aug. 4 deaths of Michele Shankles-Ebeling, 53, Gene Twiford, 85, Janet Twiford, 85, and Dana Twiford, 55.

First responders were called to 209 Elm St. in Laurel around 3 a.m., Aug. 4, to the report of an explosion and house fire, finding Michele Shankles-Ebeling, 53, deceased. About five hours later, local law enforcement on scene noticed smoke coming from a home a few blocks away at 503 Elm St.

Gene Twiford, his wife, Janet, and their daughter, Dana, were found to be deceased at that home.

All of the victims were found with what appeared to be gunshot wounds, according to court documents.

In the early morning hours of Aug. 5, the Nebraska State Patrol SWAT Team found Mr. Jones with significant burns while they were serving a warrant at his home in Laurel. Jones was transported to a Lincoln hospital where he received treatment until his release Oct. 27.

According to court documents, a neighbor told investigators he had gone outside his home in the early morning hours of Aug. 4 to smoke a cigarette when he witnessed an explosion occur at the Ebeling home. He ran to the nearby home in an attempt to render aid when he made contact with Carrie Jones at the property. Mrs. Jones allegedly admitted to Laurel Police Chief Ron Lundahl of being at the Ebeling residence that morning.

Her cellphone was searched in August but no charges were filed against her until Friday.

It is not known whether Jason Jones was in his residence across the street during the entire aftermath of the crimes and while first responders and investigators were on scene.